Saturday, June 9, 2012

Atacama Crossing Stage 5- Mar 2012


Let me start by saying that I am ok.  I don't even know where to begin to tell you about the last 24 hours... but here we go.

I left camp with Matt and we ran the first 8 miles to cp#1 while the temperature was only in the 80's. From there another 8 miles and we alternated markers usually running 100m then walking 100m.  We did this to CP#2 and that's is where I started feeling nauseous again.  I haven't been eating much of anything and it is starting to catch up with me.  We walked to cp#3 and that's where the wheels fell off yet again.  I began to projectile vomit all over what little shade there was and laid down in it.  I couldn't believe this was happening again.  Race Medical was at the cp and saw me puke and put me on a 30 minute hold so I can rehydrate.  No sense for Matt to wait and I felt bad holding him back.  He looked strong and I was a mess.  I wound up staying at cp#3 for 45 minutes until medical cleared me but I still didn't eat anything.  The next cp was 13k away through a very hot valley at 3pm in the afternoon.  This is where I really questioned what the hell I was doing here.  The seriousness of the situation was indescribable.  About half way through the checkpoint was the biggest sand dune I have ever seen, climbing it was like summiting a mountaintop for me.  About 3/4 of the way I had to sit and take a dry heave break (not fun).  I finally made it to cp#4 and took a 1 hour break for the temp to drop.  Ahead of me was another 13k section, with the sun dropping the winds started to pick up.  A first it was refreshing but soon it turned to a full blown sand storm.  I have some crazy pictures to show every one.  A bunch of the little rocks were being blown everywhere including into my body and face.  I kept doing the zombie march forward until the sun went down, then thunder in the distance.  Lighting all around, driving rain.. 30mph wind... I cant believe in a single day I could suffer heat sickness and hypothermia in a 6 hr period.  That is when I got pissed, and decided to kick Atacama in the balls instead of it getting the best of me.  Screw this, while i was still feeling sick i managed to take small sips of water and made it to CP#5.  At this point this point, the storm got worse.  So bad, for the first time, racing the planet froze the course due to safety.  Sucks for me as trekking in the cool night was a lot easier then day.  I slept for the night and began again at cp#5 in the late morning.  I was now in full blown survival mode, i couldn't care about place or time, just knowing that i was so close to failing, so low mentally but managed to finish stage 5.
I made it to camp and just felt well enough to update you all.  Like I said, what a 24 hrs it has been.  For today, I am going to try to eat.  If I cant i will have to walk the 10k finish tomorrow, running is no longer an option.
thanks for all you support, when it was real bad was thinking of what i would post telling everyone I dropped out.  Trying to phrase the words i realized that there is no quitting.  There are too many of you cheering for me.

I will never forget this experience, thanks you so much.  Tomorrow 10k then FOOD!!! did i mention food? god am i hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment