Saturday, June 9, 2012

What I would and wouldn't do differently - Mar 2012

Ok, I have been home for a week and I have been eating everything in sight. I thought it would be a good time to post some lessons learned from surviving the Atacama Crossing. Please realize that everyone is different and these are the things that I would have done different. Hope it helps. Things that went right: -Crocs to walk around camp -inflatable mattress at night -running in compression shorts -my osprey backpack :) -bringing a small wrist GPS to track distance -bringing trekking poles -happy I had my own camera -my awesome black diamond e-light (red light for inside tent) -awesome tent mates Things I should have done different: -not use expedition foods, their breakfast is disgusting -would have brought smaller backpackers style dehydrated food that tastes better -brought some sports powder mix (cool aid, ice tea) -not worn gortex shoes, fish bowls on my feet -not had so many socks (they dry so quick) -would not have gotten them 2x larger, my feet didn't swell -extra shirt for camp after the long stage -not worn compression tights at night, should have worn something lighter that allowed more air on the body -more snack foods -different types of foods (tuna fish, beef jerky) -have a better recovery drink and plan for post run -better electrolyte plan, and back up plan if nausea sets in -had more sun screen (2.oz not enough) -arrived 3-5 days earlier to acclimatize to the 10,000 ft altitude also note that while it rained, day time temps exceeded 100 degrees F. Living in NYC at sea level and training all fall and winter was not ideal. All and all I am very happy I did this race. RTP staff, volunteers and medical are second to none. I would reccomend anyone thinking about this race to jump with both feet and enjoy the ride. For me, next stop is the North Face 50 miler in Bear Mountain, NY. Thanks for the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment